Basketball hoops hung above garage doors are incredibly fun, but not all garages have space for a full one. It may be possible to fit the driveway, but it may not be practical. That is on the side of the driveway.
Playing on a backboard above your garage doesn’t obstruct your other spaces in the home. Hanging a wallpaper might seem a daunting task, but it is much simpler than it first appears.
Anyone can install a solid hoop in their garage regardless of their DIY experience. It takes just a little know-how and a little effort.
Mapping Out the Plan
To hang a basketball hoop, the first thing you need is the right tools. You’ll need a ladder, a stud finder, a level, a drill, and a screwdriver.
There may be some extra items required depending on the backboard. The ones listed above are suitable for most projects. (always check the instructions).
Next, figure out where to put the hoop. While it is best to put it on the garage wall, it is no use putting it on the garage ceiling. Placement should be a place where people can play and that is both reinforced and spacious.
Install the design on a solid surface. To do that, get a ladder and locate studs with a stud finder (you can ask a friend to hold the bottom). This will ensure that your bolts are securely fastened and capable of handling the stress caused by the ball hitting the rim over and over.
It is also important to make sure the mounting space is flat and well away from the roof.
After you have selected the ideal location for your basketball goal and assembled all the necessary elements, you can then plan where the brackets and mountings will be placed
Putting Up the Hoop
After you have decided on the perfect spot for your basketball goal and put the required accessories in place, you need to determine where the brackets and mounts will go.
Use the (blue or black) pen to mark a line on the wall where you intend to screw the hoop. Even though it seems like a small thing, it makes life easier down the road.
Afterward, set the brackets according to the instructions that came with the hoop. Once that’s done, apply caulking or spackle to any holes you may have. This will help prevent rusting by forming a watertight seal.
In the final step, look at the backboard and see if everything is in order. Just adjust the height and level accordingly, that way you get the desired result.
Additional Tips and Tricks
- There are some hoops that do not include a mounting kit, but you should always get one with the mounting kit included. This will save you many steps and makes the process much easier.
- Check that the backboard kit you buy is for garages. Some backboard kits are only designed for basketball poles so they’ll not work on the wall of your house.
- The additional security of fastening your backboard to studs is always benefitting based on the less secure screwing or drilling into the wall.
- It is safer to move all the necessary materials up a ladder with a helper. Some of the materials you will need are heavy, making it dangerous to move them all by yourself.
- Make sure that everything is secure, especially the net and the rim. If one piece is loose, the ball will bounce in strange directions.
Fun for the Whole House
Whatever the purpose, whether it be practice, a knock-out game, or a couple of shots after dinner, an overhead basketball hoop is always a source of fun for all people. It is great for families, individuals, and friends alike.
It may seem like a daunting project at first but hanging a hooped solar panel is straightforward once you know these steps.
Following the instructions in this guide and learning the tips and tricks will allow you to be able to have one up and running within minutes at your house.